State Identification Numbers

In addition to the federal Employer Identification Number (EIN) you'll need to obtain, you may also need to secure identification numbers or account numbers from the various state and local taxing jurisdictions to which you will be reporting, depositing, and paying taxes. In many states, the federal EIN is also used for state income tax reporting purposes.

You, the employer, must register for identification or account numbers for use in income tax reporting and in state unemployment tax and wage reporting. Call your state department of revenue to find out how to get a number. In most cases, you will then receive forms or coupon books to use when making required deposits.