Conducting Criminal Record Checks in Vermont

In Vermont, criminal record and substantiated reports of child abuse record checks may be requested by owners or operators of certain licensed facilities for current employees and, after conditional job offers have been made, for prospective employees. The commissioner of education may obtain the conviction records of any person applying for an initial license as a professional educator and a superintendent or headmaster of an independent school may conduct a record check on applicants for headmaster positions.

Employers that are entitled to obtain information must inform current or prospective employees that they have the right to appeal the accuracy and completeness of the record.

Employers providing services to vulnerable classes; children, the elderly, or persons with disabilities, or secondary schools with student residential facilities, may obtain from the Vermont crime information center a Vermont criminal record and an out-of-state criminal record for any applicant who has given written authorization on a release form provided by the center. Employers must file user agreements with the center. Employers must make an offer of employment conditioned on on the record check before they can obtain the criminal record check.